Curriculum Vitae - Dipl. Eng. Ovidiu F. Jurjut
| First name:
Date and place of birth:
|| Ovidiu Florin
29.06.1982, Oradea, Romania
- 1996 - 2000  Computer Science High School "Emanuil Gojdu", Oradea, Romania.
- 2000 - 2005  Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Automation and Computer Science, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
- 2005 - 2006  Guest student at Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- 2006 - prez.  PhD student at Max Planck Institute for Brain Research and Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Jan. 2006 - Course on "Complex Physical, Biological and Social Systems" (Duration: one week)
New England Complex Systems Institute, Boston MA, USA.
- Aug. 2006 - Summer School on "Theoretical Neuroscience and Complex Systems" (Duration: three weeks)
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
Scholarships and awards:
- Romanian, native
- English, fluent
- Italian, average
- German, average
Description of scientific work:
- 2005  Coneural-FIAS scholarship (1 year)
- 2006  Hertie Stiftung Ph.D. scholarship (1.5 years)
- 2008  "Original Idea" poster award, CNS 2008
- Ovidiu Jurjut's work is oriented towards the analysis and visualization of high-dimensional data. Experimental techniques make it possible to record multiple signals from brains in a parallel fashion (Spikes, LFP, EEG). Such complex signals might carry a great deal of information and should be analyzed in a multi-dimensional framework to fully harness their richness. In this context, Ovidiu Jurjut is using clustering and projection techniques to reduce the dimensionality of the recorded data and represent it in more intuitive and easily understandable ways.
Posters, abstracts and talks
- Jurjut O.F., Nikolic D., Pipa G., Singer W., Metzler D., Muresan R.C. (2009), A color-based visualization technique for multi-electrode spike trains. Journal of Neurophysiology 102: 3766-3778.
- Muresan R.C., Jurjut O.F., Moca V.V., Singer W., Nikolic D. (2008), The Oscillation Score: An Efficient Method for Estimating Oscillation Strength in Neuronal Activity. Journal of Neurophysiology 99:1333-1353.
- "Multidimensional Patterns of Neuronal Activity: How do we see them?", (CNS Meeting 08) Portland (Oregon), USA, 2008.
- "Exploring Parallelly Recorded Spike Trains", (Cosyne 08) Salt Lake City, USA, I-33, 2008.
- "Visualizing Multi-dimensional Neural Data", Coherent Behavior in Neural Networks (COBENN) Workshop, Mallorca, Spain, 2007.
- "Visualizing the Brain", Hertie Foundation, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, April 3rd 2007.
- "Visualizing Data Trough Dimensionality Reduction", Max Planck Society, Ringberg retreat, Germany, 2007.
- "Detecting Temporal Scales in Parallel Spike Train Recordings", Max Planck Society, Ringberg retreat, Germany, 2006.
- "Kohonen Self-Organizing Maps and Coding in the Visual Cortex", Interdisciplinary lecture series at Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Frankfurt, Germany, 2005.